In the first part of this tutorial we'll deploy our initial VPS. I chose Vultr over Digital Ocean because Vultr gives us 1GB of RAM for our server as opposed to Digital Ocean only giving us 512MB of RAM for the same $5/mo tier.
Hosting provider: Vultr.com
Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04
Cost: $5/mo USD
Server specs: 1 CPU, 1GB RAM, 25GB SSD hard disk, 1TB data transfer
- Register for an account at Vultr.com.
- Deploy a new server
- Select the approriate data center closest to you
- Choose Ubuntu 16.04 for the operating system
- Select $5/mo for the server size
- Add an SSH key for passwordless login (Optional but highly recommended)
- Enter a hostname for the machine
- Click Deploy
- Connect to the server via SSH to verify that the server is accessible
Setup a DNS entry for your server. I will be using my teachnixlab.com test domain for DNS.
If you do not have a domain and wish to purchase one then I would recommend using https://www.namecheap.com to register one.